Jul 8, 2016

A Heart with a Purpose

After deciding to serve a mission for our church, I goaled to read and ponder the Book of Mormon from cover to cover for a month. Each day, I found myself more and more committed to my goal. That was in fact , the first time in my life that I put my heart and mind into conscientious study of the book. I do not want to stop reading describing how I felt like unto Elder Parley P. Pratt, "eating was a burden... sleeping was a burden when the night came...for I prefer reading than sleeping". I have learned so many great truths about God, his matchless power and love for His people. I gained a better and clearer understanding of His divine nature and purposes and relating to Nephi's words.."I did liken all the scriptures that it maybe for our profit and learning"-1 Nephi 19:23. I became closer and closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ just as what the book had promised. Finishing reading the entire book, I found myself in tears. I was so grateful for his goodness towards me. That spiritual experience has strengthened  my desire, even more to serve the Lord. I promised to Him that I will sacrifice my personal life and devote myself to serving Him. 





Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men. Therefore, oh ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve Him with all your heart, might, mind and strength that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day. Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God, ye are called to the work. For behold, the field is white already to harvest, and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul. And faith, hope, charity and love with an eye single to the glory of God qualify him to the work. Remember, faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence. Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you. Amen. Doctrine and Covenants 4




In the Missionary Training Center we were reminded of how sacred is our calling as missionaries. 

MY MISSIONARY COMMISSION
by Elder Bruce McConkie

I am called of God.
My authority is above that Kings of the earth. 
By revelation I have been selected as a personal representative of the Lord Jesus Christ.
He is my Master and He has chosen me to represent Him- to stand in His place, to say and do what He Himself  would say and do if He were personally ministering to the very people to whom He has sent me.
My voice is His voice, and my acts are His acts, my doctrine is His doctrine.
My commission is to do what He wants done; to say what He wants said; to be a living modern witness in word and in deed of the divinity of His great and marvelous latter-day work.
How great is my calling!



Sister Person with Sister Roda (trainer)


One of the greatest things I learned on my mission is that "faith is power". Praying daily- morning, mid-day and night and regular study of the scriptures helped me be in tuned to the Spirit. It has strengthened my testimony, courage and confidence that has helped me face the challenges of the work and temptations of the adversary. I gained power to fulfill what was expected from me. I know that "the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save He shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which He commandeth them"- 1 Nephi 3:7

Self discipline and obedience goes hand in hand. These attributes are essential to our spiritual and temporal growth. Our determination to follow the Savior Jesus Christ is a mark of our loyalty to Him.

Love. I met people in different walks of life, different status in life.  I recall my eagerness in sharing the gospel with them because I know it is true and that I want them to know and understand the purpose of life...the Plan of Happiness! I want them to know how much Heavenly Father loves them!

My serving has given me inspiration and humility as I witness miracles in the lives of others who I refer to as my brothers and sisters. One particular experience was in my second area. One day, going to our destination we rode this brother's tricycle. We learned his name and we introduced ourselves to him. We gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon and was able to make a follow up appointment. On the said date, he was there. And he did read the verses we asked him to read. We then taught him the Message of the Restoration. And from that time on, we established a regular appointment with him. He had good questions to some of his reading assignments and lessons like Law of Chastity. As his knowledge of the gospel progresses, we have witnessed changes in his way of life. He is following the Word of Wisdom, he goes to church, read the scriptures and were in fact, he highlighted his favorite verses, he became careful about making good choices and so on. We have witnessed how his faith in the Lord has grown and feeling the spirit he accepted the invitation to get baptized. After my mission, I learned that he is still active, he has served in different positions in the church and what's the best part, he served a full-time mission! oh! How wonderful that is and I was filled with joy!

I have trusted in Him who is omnipotent, omniscient and perfect which leadeth me to a mature perspective.

Gratitude to the Lord is a deep expression of our reverence and dedication to Him. I am extremely grateful for life and for everything it has to offer me! King Benjamin exclaimed..."if ye should serve Him who has created you from the beginning and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another- I say, if ye should serve Him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants". -Mosiah 2:21 "All that He requires of you is to keep the commandments..."-King Benjamin.

My life has been richly blessed because of serving a full-time mission! 




-Irene
































No comments: