Jun 28, 2016

How Dear to God are Little Children

Yesterday, I came across this article entitled "The Responsibility of Parents", a talk that was delivered by Delbert L. Stapley at BYU. I felt so impressed in his understanding and testimony of parenthood based on the gospel standards. I would like to enumerate the ones that have strucked my heart strongly.

1. Quoting Doctrine and Covenants v. 46-47 of Section 29, it says, "Behold, I say unto you, that little children are redeemed from the foundation of the world through mine Only begotten; Wherefore, they can not sin, for power is not given unto Satan to tempt little children, until they begin to become accountable before me." 

As parents, we have the responsibility to instruct and shape the characters of our children before Satan has power to allure them. 8 years old is the age of accountability.  It is a serious task and a blessing for us to teach and train our children to live righteously. 
2. Being a good example is the best way of teaching our children righteousness. If we want to teach them faith then we should show them we have faith in Him, if we want to teach them prayer then we should pray ourselves, if we want them to live a virtuous life, have the courage to do what is right, be respectful, honest, sincere, have self-control and the list go on then we should be their role model in all these things.
3. Our "homes" should be in harmony with the church's principles and standards. 
4. Parents should teach their children obedience to the Lord at a very young age. 
5. Parents should constantly adhere to keep the Sabbath Day holy.
6. Homes should be a place of refuge, protection from dangers and evils of this world.
7.  “Division between parents is unfair and confusing and weakens the foundations of the family. Those to whom a child should look for guidance must be united in the guidance they give” -Richard L. Evans
8. We must be solicitously mindful of building good and righteous traditions to help bring our children in light and truth. 
9. “Set in order your houses; keep slothfulness and uncleanness far from you” (D&C 90:18)
“Dear Lord, make me a better parent. Teach me to understand my children, to listen patiently to what they have to say, and to answer all their questions kindly. Keep me from interrupting them, talking back to and contradicting them. Make me as courteous to them as I would have them be to me” -A Famous Psychologist


I love this song! How precious are my children!



https://plus.google.com/u/1/116850191748263195238/posts/bDa2guJ2V17?pid=6301096966402462082&oid=116850191748263195238


No comments: