Feb 2, 2010

Random Thoughts

Irene encouraged me to try and log some of my thoughts and things I learn while reading. I'll try and do that more as they come.

For the past few days, I've been watching some Animated Stories from the Book of Mormon with Veyron. One of the many we've been watching was the story of the Brother of Jared. In this, the Brother of Jared on a tall mountain asks the Lord about some problems he's run into while building the barges that he's been shown to build. He asks a couple questions and the Lord promptly answers him. He finally asks "how shall we have light". This time, the Lord responded with a question: "what would ye have me do so that ye may have light?"

I've been reading the book "Rough Stone Rolling" which is a biography on Joseph Smith. In the section I'm at, Joseph takes a trip to New York City. Joseph, being a humble farm boy from rural america, was amazed at the large city of then 200,000 people. In a letter home to Emma he wrote "can the great God of all the Earth, maker of all things magnificent and splendid be displeased with man for all these great inventions?" To this question Joseph replied "my answer is no, it cannot be, seeing these works are calculated to make men comfortable, wise and happy."

These two stories come together to form a principle that I think is important for me: that the Lord is happy when we figure things out on our own. He wants us to do things of our own effort to improve our lives and the lives of others. In the case of the brother of Jared, I think He was teaching the brother of Jared to think of a solution to his problem on his own.

No comments: